BLOOMINGTON, Ill. – With Santa Claus making an appearance and four Titan players having double-digit scoring performances, the Illinois Wesleyan men's basketball team presented University of Chicago with its fourth loss of the season, overcoming the Maroons, 82-63, Saturday (Dec. 15) afternoon at the Shirk Center.
· The Maroons (4-4) and Titans (6-2) exchanged the lead for a majority of the first half, but Chicago jumped out with an eight-point lead, 24-16, with just over seven minutes on the clock. However, the Titans did not let the deficit last long, as they went on a quick eight-point run to tie the score, 24-24, with 5:15 on the clock after a jumper by Bryce Dolan
· IWU narrowly sat atop the Maroons at halftime with a two-point advantage, 35-33.
· The second half kicked off similarly to the first, but IWU was able capitalize off a strong offensive push several minutes into play to lead Chicago by double figures for most of the period, and jumping ahead by as much as 19 points in the final stretch.
· IWU shot 54.7 percent from the field, 40 percent from behind the arc, and 69.2 percent from the free throw line (9-for-11).
· Chicago shot 32.8 percent from the field, 38.9 percent from 3-point land, and 78.3 percent from the charity stripe.
Illinois Wesleyan Statistical Leaders
Sophomore Dylan Overstreet
(18 points, 5 rebounds)
Junior Andrew Ziemnik
(17 points, 8 rebounds)
Senior Kevin Reed
(16 points, 7 rebounds)
Sophomore Pat Sodemann
University of Chicago Statistical Leaders
Alex Pyper (15 points)
Nate Brooks (14 points)
Sam Gage (11 points)
· The Titans will travel to Orlando, Fla., for the Orlando Magic DIII Tournament Friday and Saturday (Dec. 21-22).
· IWU will play Mississippi College Friday at 7 p.m. ET and Hope College Saturday at 3 p.m. ET.